Thursday, June 25, 2009

Robin and the Green Man

Exploring Sherwood Forest today was awesome! The sun was out, the sky was a crisp, clear blue and every once in a while a cloud would float by, which Lady Thelma did capture on camera. There was also a light breeze in the air which made walking about in Sherwood Forest exceptionally at my leisure.

The gift shop was adorable and I think that it is really great but mostly for children. They catered to the younger crowd in the gift shop. About half of the shop would have been considered a child toy, I guess rather than an adults toy. The museum was also very playful and child like but at the end it became a little more adult. Everything was crafted well and was very novelty. It was youthful and I really have no criticisms of the gift shop or the museum. Robin Hood is a youthful story and plays a huge role in the minds of children. It helps them grasp larger political and social issues.

I never expected there to be so much Robin Hood paraphernalia like he was a real man from history. He is such hope for people that he has became real in the believers eyes. The forest is much more "Romantic" than I imagined it to be. In my mind the forest would be younger and perhaps had water running through but I was picturing what the forest was like growing up at my parents.

The Forest was so incredible! I had such a great time trying to find the photo requirements listed for homework. Sherwood Forest is such a novelty because the trees are beautiful and old. Some have fallen and are decaying back into the earth but only to produce more life. The whole forest is very "Romantic". I could imagine Robin Hood and all the merry men sitting on trees and running past or in the grass drinking. The Green Man helped the characters come to life.


P.S. photographs to come.

1 comment:

  1. I like your comments on how the giftshop is very child oriented. It is a youthful feeling, and I saw many parents playing with the toys. I heard one mother (who seemed a bit of spoil-sport (but maybe with very good reason)) tell *both* her husband and her son that they could not get the bow and arrow sets. I am interested to hear more about how The Green Man helped the characters come to life for you.

    ReplyDelete