Thursday, June 18, 2009

Macadamia Nuts UK (#2)

The word palace comes to mind when I think about Harlaxton with all it's fabulous arch- itecture. The ceilings are so intricate and gorgeous! Harlaxton is a sort of a hodge-podge of different cutlers and time periods because of the different owners it's been passed to over the centuries. There decorations and furniture look like Greek/Roman influenced ornamentation, medieval, Victorian etc... Somehow, it all works together to create this overwhelming grander that I can't quite stop looking at. It's kind of like mixing macadamia nuts, white chocolate, raisins and cookie dough to get the greatest tasting cookie (ever)!


Grantham is a quaint spot to visit. There are lots of little shops and local spots that make it so unique. Not being able to visit other towns this early in the trip I have concluded that, Grantham is the British version of Northside Cincinnati. There are a lot of thrift stores and local businesss that add culture to it's streets. Something that really sticks out, as I have been walking around or riding the bus is that I have not seen one truck or sporty, muscle car. The streets are filled with all kinds of smart cars and Eco-friendly cars. The "smoking kills" signs on the cigarette boxes are very different as well. Referencing back to the thrift stores (which there are countless numbers of) I observed that they are extremely aware of pollution and preserving the atmosphere. They concentrate on protecting the environment by enforcing the shame in smoking, creating easy access to pass down unwanted items and redistributing used goods, and driving smart cars, riding bikes or walking.


The biggest realization for me at this point on the trip is I imagined that England would be just an old polite version of the US that has a Queen and a lovely accent that I am extremely jealous of but they are so much more advanced in the way of being green, protecting their environment and appreciating our earth. All their effort really shows and I can almost notice the lightness of the air. The different air that I feel here is a threshold that is hard for me to describe. It's like an ocean side air but for green pastures.










3 comments:

  1. I love your simple yet profound mind tasha. You notice minute differences in culture that make a huge difference in the way people treat each other. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That top photo of Harlaxton with the clouds is spectacular, Tasha. I'd love to have a copy of that!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, I will make you copies of any that you want. I'll bring them by your office when we get back.

    ReplyDelete