Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Editing Behavoir (5)

Here daily habits feel like they have been completely demolished but this is not the case. I believe that it's just the fact that there have been no set times or rituals to my daily habit. All I know is that at some point and time during the day personal hygiene and up keep gets done. This statement is being made with the exception of Scotland when I did not shower for two days nor did I brush my teeth for one having lost my toothbrush. Really it's not that bad, everyone should try it at least once.


When it comes to adapting to circumstance of studying abroad and trying to fit so many places into a short period of time I believe the best way to describe it is "always be ready to go". All that I have at this point and time in my life is in a bag and I love it! I love the minimalistic living and just picking things up as I need them. When I was a younger girl around 12 or 13 my favorite book was "The Gospel According to Larry". In the book the main character (Larry) has a rule that he will never buy anything new without getting rid of something old. I can't recall right now, it's been a while, but he only keeps a specific number of items in his possession, lets say thirteen, he would always put great thought into getting something new and always traded something out when he did get something new. I can come up with countless novelty examples of this way of living and it's such and attractive way of life to me. When I return home I will always keep a bag packed with essentials so on a whim I can take up and leave.


Living in almost complete spontaneity and minimalist has for the most part improved my mind set on being abroad. I know that living here would be a different story but I appreciate the traveling side of it. Everything being so mobile has increased my level of physical activity by quite a bit compared to my home life. I will admit that for the past two years of my life I have been ridiculously lazy. The only thing that complicates my life right now is the time difference between here and home. Everything else that was complicating my life before is gone. No cell phone, no job, no car and the list could go on.


And for the list of "I want's..."

All-in-all I value so many of the changes and hope in all sincerity that things stick with me back at home. I want to walk to the grocery store, I want to make sure I keep a blog going, I want to keep a bag packed and ready to go for randomness sake. I want these things to testify me. I want people to know me by what I bring back from my experiences here.


P.S. pictures coming soon ;-)


3 comments:

  1. I agree that the light lifestyle of not having a fixed residence helps a person focus on what is really important. Here at Harlaxton we still have a room we can lock. Your travels in Scotland and Ireland will prepare you well for our very very light living in London! Oh, and *do* get another toothbrush...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had great philosophy teacher who always harped about how we weigh ourselves down with excess baggage. The older I get the more I realize how easily that happens. Things just silently accumulate and before you know it, all your closets and storage bins are full to bursting with stuff you never use. I like Larry's rule. I'll try to put it into practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to have this philosophy brought home. I love you dear, and cannot wait to bring this attitude into our lives.

    ReplyDelete