Monday, June 22, 2009

Haworth in Cookronte Perspective



Haworth was a combination of dark and quaint to me. The museum seemed typical and had a lot of unique information about the Bronte family, although most of the artifacts that have been collected for the museum were either Bromwell's artworks or Charlotte's belongings or artworks. I expected the museum to be a more even spread of information about all of them but non-the-less I can use the information that I did learn about Charlotte and apply it to the lives of the other siblings. The gift shop I also felt concentrated on Charlotte as an artist a little more than the other siblings. The gift shop help visitors perceive life of the Bronte's and their surroundings by showing a bountiful amount of photographs from their time. It was really interesting to compare all the changes that had been made to Haworth looking back at the old photographs.

The gift shop tries to be authentic and sell things like, quill pens, prints of old photographs and miniature maps of old day Haworth. Having not been in this study abroad group I would have bought a souvenir but after climbing the moors and knowing that I experiences something that might have been close to their own was affirmation enough for me and having authentic photo's of the experience will help it stay fresh in my mind.

There is definitely an eeriness of the surroundings described in Wuthering Heights by Mr. Lockwood and Nelly. When I visited Emily's inspiration I could see that it was all beautiful in a very dark way. The old photographs of Haworth showed to be a melancholy place. A place that could freeze the soul. The death rates were so high I can only imagine why Emily placed so much pain and suffering in her book. It was her out. Something to elevate the heartache. A tool to tell people about her fears. Then again I saw the beautiful things that she spoke of, the moors, her safe place. The one physical reality where Heathcliff and Cathrine could be happy and free. High up, looking over the green pastures gave them their own power. They could perceive all things small and all at once. I find that this was Emily's hope. I can look back on the novel and find it's brighter side over the melancholy just from being up in the moors and seeing all the beauty and purity of the land. A place I will never forget.

3 comments:

  1. I love the photo of the moor and how you allow the sky to dominate the scene by choosing the portriat orientation. This is truly an iconic photo of Moor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific photos, as usual, Natasha! I know I'm going to want to see all of yours when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tasha, your photos are brilliant, and your insights are amazing. I LOVE how you can view every aspect and see from every perspective.

    ReplyDelete