Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Culture Check UK (#3)

Harlaxton is a grand place. Our study abroad group was in aw at the sight of it. It was interesting to see every one's responses to the sights, sounds and smells of Harlaxton. I hope I will always remember those first impressions. One thing that will stick out to me as a perfect bonding moment and memory was sitting by Thelma on the rock wall in front of Harlaxton sketching while the sun set. The air was chill and the clouds spread dusty, thin, lines in front of the malty, orange sun. Being here, in that minute became a dream that I had once had.Enjoying people and their differences I guess would be considered a hobby of mine. I love the company of everyone in our study abroad group and I look forward to spending the next 3 weeks getting to know them better. It's was nice to find that all the girls are free spirits and that we all have some common interests. Unusually for most large groups of girls we all get along and have made so many memories together. Unfamiliar situations can either make a person or break them and at a time when we're all thousands of miles from home with no loved ones and no familiar destinations we used that as an opportunity for good energies and sincere bonding. Our group described in one word, optimistic.
During the brief time I have had here so far I have noticed that the natives of the UK seem to be much more reserved in public than Americans. I hear our group over any other groups of people walking around. The British have been extremely polite and respectful. Not that I'm a disrespectful person but I, in return want to be overly polite. Today as I watched their body language and mannerisms in town I noticed the women don't cross their legs as regularly as American women do. Another slight realization was the cashiers in the grocery store were all sitting down as they rang up the items. I'm not certain of the significance of these minor things but I do sense a more laid back feel, less nerves energy coming from the general public. It something that I really enjoy (all though that could be my laid back nature talking). With these things in mind I think this place is refreshing and I completely enjoy the change of atmosphere.

3 comments:

  1. I am struck how focused your Gaze with the camera is. Lots of people show big pictures of the manor, but you show the smaller details of the poppies and the side door, not the main door. It is lovely to enjoy the focused, hidden views of the manor. It is also interesting to read about your observations of the less frenetic pace that people have here. Many visitors to America comment on how rushed Americans are: friendly, but always in a hurry. I think your observations about the more laid back and reserved atmosphere here is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tash, I love you so much. This was wonderful to read, and to see your initial realization and understanding of the minute details of a culture so similar yet removed from our own. I can't wait to read more!

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tasha, love your photos and enjoyed reading your initial reactions. I do think you're part of a great group and you are going to have a wonderful time. And I'm sure you won't ever forget those first experiences of Harlaxton. Have fun!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete