Wednesday, July 1, 2009










Newstead Abby was incredible. The gardens were beautiful and in several different styles (Spanish, French and English) . The interior had been kept up well, at least the parts of it that were accessible. The Abby was very flamboyant and I could see the influence of Byron's travels among the decorations and some children's toys. In the poems he speaks about the ruin that the Abby has come to and that the previous Byron the V had let the Abby be destroyed. Instead of fixing it up he only keeps a few rooms for entertaining others and complains about the mess of an Abby it has become. There was so much potential beauty and from the paintings of Newstead it seemed as though it hadn't completely lost its luster (although the painter could have brightened it up to deceive the viewer). He is does seem to be very selfish and could have occupied some if his time by cleaning up his surroundings. It would have changed the tone of his poetry.


Newstead seemed a little stuffy inside and which I'm sure the extra architecture and decor was very in style back in his day. It doesn't quit measure up to my likings of Sherwood forest or the Moors. The Bronte sisters took Romantic aspects from Byron's poetry like his whole out look on things of passing beauty and decay is romantic. The Robin Hood stories put a large influence on Byron's description of nature. I see him trying to raise himself up as a hero, as a Robin Hood.

I can not completely dis Byron because I too take things for granted and sometimes complain about things that I myself could have prevented or changed. I can learn from Byron and say that I'm not going to complain or try to be a power figure, someone I'm not, just take life as hit hits me and change the things that I have the power to change.


1 comment:

  1. I think it is a powerful insight to see some of Byron's discontent inside oneself. We can complain about Byron's lack of awareness and weak will to change what he found painful, but I think you make an excellent point that it is all too easy to do that for ourselves. I like the last line of the blog. I hope, in about a month, you come back to read your blogs to remind yourself of what you resolved so you don't lose it.

    ReplyDelete